United Nations World Food Program Recruitment, January 2018 – The United Nations World Food Program is the world’s biggest philanthropic organization battling hunger around the world.
The mission of WFP is to enable the world to accomplish Zero Hunger in our lifetimes.
Consistently, WFP works worldwide to guarantee that no youngster goes to bed hungry and that the poorest and most powerless, especially ladies and kids, can get to the nutritious sustenance they require.
We are enrolling to fill the empty position beneath:
Title: Helper (Cook) G1
Requisition # 74801
Location: Maiduguri, Borno
- This job is found in Regional Bureaux (RBs), Country Offices (COs), Area Offices (AOs) and Field Offices (FOs).
- Job holders report to the Administration Associate or the designate.
- This job require a good physical fit to lift and handle heavy items and work in all types of weather conditions.
- To support site maintenance services in providing cleaning, laundry, basic garden maintenance, porter duties and other related manual work, to ensure WFP premises are well-organised, kept in a clean & hygienic condition and are in compliance with the established standards.
Key Accountabilities (not all-inclusive)
Reporting to the Admin officer, the staff will perform the following functions:
- Ensure highest standards of personal hygiene, including showering and changing of personal and work clothes on a daily basis.
Food Hygiene Cooking & Handling:
- Using the Guesthouse contributions, ensure that sufficient food is procured and available to be cooked when needed (Breakfast, Lunch and Dinner) Mondays through Sundays.
- Ensure food is stored in the appropriate storage spaces including refrigerators, freezers and food pantry shelves for dry foods
- Ensure that food is served in the appropriate and clean hot pots.
- Balanced Diet: for example, every meal must have – salad, starch, protein and desert/fruitsBEVERAGES’ HYGIENE, PREPARATION & HANDLING
- Ensure that all beverages are handled with proper hygiene standards, including using clean utensils for serving and storage.
- Ensure that freshly prepared beverages such as fruit juices (smoothies) are handled with the required and appropriate care following high hygiene standards of washing the fruits well before use.
- Ensure that the kitchen facilities are always clean and disinfected, including the floor, kitchen stove, kitchen shelves, kitchen pantry, kitchen refrigerator and kitchen freezer.
- Ensure that the crockery, cutlery, utensils and other cooking items are spotless clean at all times
- Ensure food is washed properly before cooking
- Ensure food is served in clean serving pots
- Ensure clear communication both written and verbal to the Supervisor, Guesthouse residents, Co-workers (Cooks) and other staff at the Guesthouse.
- Report any issues that require the Supervisor’s attention or decision
- Report all food contributions and expenditures in the appropriate ledger for the Supervisor’s review including other Guesthouse residents who may be interested to review.
- Establish a team work relationship with other Cooks and Assistant Cooks
- Establish and build on good working relationships with the Guesthouse residents and fully understand their food requirements, meal schedules etc.
- Work with other cleaning personnel who support the Guesthouse on general hygiene standards to promote high quality staff wellness.
- Perform any other duties as may be required by the Supervisor or the Guesthouse residents.
Other Specific Job Requirement:
- This section is optional to describe additional responsibilities & knowledge required for the specific job
4Ps Core Organizational Capabilities
- Understand and communicate the Strategic Objectives: Builds an understanding of WFP’s Strategic Objectives.
- Make the mission inspiring to our team: Understands the impact of WFP activities in beneficiary communities.
- Make our mission visible in everyday actions: Connects individual tasks and responsibilities to unit’s goals and mission.
- Be a force for positive change: Approaches individual tasks and responsibilities with a positive attitude and demeanor.
- Look for ways to strengthen people’s skills: Seeks opportunities to build and enhance individual skills.
- Create an inclusive culture: Demonstrates respect and understanding for diversity and cultural differences.
- Be a coach & provide constructive feedback: Identifies and approaches colleagues or supervisors to serve as coaches.
- Create an “I will”/”We will” spirit: Sets clear goals and measurable targets for own tasks and responsibilities.
- Encourage innovation & creative solutions: Assesses own tasks and responsibilities to find ways to be more efficient.
- Make commitments and make good on commitments: Understands responsibilities and the metrics associated with own tasks.
- Be Decisive: Notifies supervisors of dangerous situations or potential issues that may arise while in the field or office.
- Focus on getting results: Maintains accurate records of completion times and tasks in own areas of responsibility.
- Connect and share across WFP units: Understands WFP’s organizational structure, including the purpose and mission of each unit.
- Build strong external partnerships: Supports team in working with colleagues and WFP’s partners in the field toward common goals.
- Be politically agile & adaptable: Maintains a professional and courteous relationship with other WFP employees and partners in the field.
- Be clear about the value WFP brings to partnerships: Understands own team’s contributions in its partnerships with internal and external stakeholders.
Standard Minimum Qualifications
- Education: Completion of Secondary School Education.
- Experience: One year or more of related work experience.
Knowledge & Skills:
- Knowledge of basic equipment and use of cleaning materials/solutions.
- Ability to operate and maintain equipment and supplies related to work in a good working condition.
- Punctuality, honesty and integrity.
- Ability to work in a multicultural environment.
- Ability to work in a team.
- Ability to work in all weather conditions and meet the deadlines.
- High sense of responsibility and initiative.
- Intermediate knowledge (level B) of English and fluency (level C) in the duty station’s language, if different.
Terms and Conditions
- Qualified female candidates are encouraged to apply.
- Only Nigerian national (or residents with valid residence and work permits) are eligible to apply.
- Applications must be submitted online and in English only.
- Only shortlisted candidates will be contacted.
- Canvassing of any sort will lead to automatic disqualification of the concerned applicant.
Interested candidates should:
Click here to apply
Deadline 10th February, 2018.