Mercy Corps Recruitment for Peace and Security Network (PSN) Intern – Mercy Corps is a main worldwide association controlled by the conviction that a superior world is conceivable.
In a debacle, in hardship, in more than 40 nations around the globe, we accomplice to put striking arrangements vigorously helping individuals triumph over difficulty and assemble more grounded groups from inside.
Presently, and for what’s to come.
In Nigeria, Mercy Corps has worked since 2012 by concentrating its programming on immature young ladies’ strengthening, financial advancement, strife alleviation, and helpful reaction.
We are selecting to fill the position underneath:
Title: Peace and Security Network (PSN) Intern
- The Peace and Security Network (PSN) was been established to enhance the effectiveness and coordination of interventions that are designed to reduce conflict, or to prevent the start or resumption of violent conflict in Nigeria.
- These activities may address the underlying drivers, neutralize potential triggers of violence, create a societal expectation for peaceful conflict resolution or stabilize society politically and socio-economically in the midst of crisis situations.
- The PSN will mobilize various actors currently involved in or who will soon be involved in peace and security in Nigeria to develop and employ collective strategies and approaches to enhance the overall effectiveness and efficiency of conflict management, CVE and peacebuilding initiatives throughout Nigeria.
General Position Summary
- This successful candidate will have a unique opportunity to test academic knowledge in real-life conflict scenarios, under the guidance of a highly professional team.
- The intern will further advance his/her knowledge in the program area and build interest in the field.
- He/she will also gain understanding of the skills and knowledge required for success in a global workplace.
- The intern will also develop decision-making and critical thinking skills, increase confidence and self-esteem.
Essential Job Functions
- The PSN intern will be a motivated learner and a passionate activist for the improvement of the peace and security situation in Nigeria and for the role of civil society in this context.
- This will be an opportunity for a committed worker to learn about coordination and the development sector in general, while developing research, analytical, communication and organizational skills.
- The intern will remain responsible for all costs associated with:
- Housing and personal living expenses
- Life and health insurance cover
- All other expenses not specified as a responsibility of the organization
- Facilitate communication between PSN members and follow up regularly for updates and contributions.
- Assist in mobilizing PSN members, preparing meetings and taking minutes.
- Organize logistics for trainings, workshops, events and other PSN activities.
- Update and maintain contact lists and knowledge sharing platforms.
- Under the supervision of PSN Manager, will work with external partners (NGOs, donors, Government, etc.) to plan/facilitate partnerships.
- Collect, organize and disseminate information from members of the PSN on peace and security issues.
- Research on key principles, standards and best practices in conflict analysis, conflict management, peace messaging, peacebuilding, C/PVE etc.
- Potential field visits to collect information on current and potential PSN members at field level.
- Mapping of project activities.
- File and archive information and documentation of PSN’s activities.
- Maintain PSN calendars (internal and external).
- Draft agendas and circulate to the identified recipient lists.
- Compile links to relevant media, reports, assessments, etc. from identified key sources.
- Follow up pending action points within PSN members.
- Support in updating PSN Workplan and Advocacy Strategy.
- Engage with external partners on relevant topics.
Knowledge and Experience
- Advanced University Degree in Political Science, International Relations, Journalism, Social Sciences, Peacebuilding, Conflict Management, International Development or related Technical field (minimum Bachelor’s degree).
- Experience in an NGO (local or international) or research institution.
- Knowledge of and contacts in Nigerian NGOs.
- Ability to manage multiple projects and work assignments simultaneously.
- Ability to connect messages and content into stories easily understood by a broad audience.
- Regularly monitor conflict indices and events across the country and record them in the Mercy Corps Violent Incidents Tracker (VIT) for the conflict management program.
- Provide support in new program design and development.
- Written and spoken fluency in English. Knowledge of Hausa is a plus.
- Willingness to learn and interest in peace and security related fields.
- Excellent writing, editing and analytical skills and ability to formulate well-targeted documents.
- Ability to work independently in a fast-paced and often demanding environment.
- Flexibility in terms of office hours.
Interested candidates should submit their CV’s and Cover Letter in one document, addressing the position requirements to: [email protected]
- All applications must include the position title in the subject line and not more than 4 pages.
- Only short-listed candidates will be contacted.
- We are an equal opportunity organization and we strongly encourage women to apply for this position.
Deadline 2nd February, 2018.