Latest Project Manager Vacancy at the United Nations Development Programme – United Nations Development Program (UNDP), enables creating nations to pull in and utilize help successfully. In every one of our exercises, we energize the assurance of human rights, limit advancement and the strengthening of ladies.
We are enrolling to fill the empty position beneath:
Job Title: Project Manager
- The Government of Nigeria with the assistance of the UNDP has secured funding through the Global Environment Facility (GEE) to implements project that would foster sustainability and resilience in Nigeria agricultural production.
- The goal of the five-year project is to enhance long-term sustainability and resilience of food production systems in Nigeria, building greater community resilience to climate risks and other shocks that drive food insecurity.
- The project is seeking for qualified individuals to be recruited in the Project Management Unit (PMU).
Overall Function of the Position
- The Project Manager (PM) will conduct all necessary coordination and management activities to successfully implement the project.
- The PM will work closely with the staff from inter alia Federal Ministry of Agriculture and Rural Development (FMARD), Ministry of Environment (FMoE), States, LGs and local communities, Universities and contracted NGOs/researchers and consultants.
- The PM will be based in the Project Management Unit (PMU) (inFMARD in Abuja and wili report to the Project Board (PB).
Duties and Responsibilities
- Oversee the implementation of the project activities in line with the Project Implementation Plan and under the guidance provided by the Project Board (PB);
- Liaise with FMARD as the implementing agency and coordinate project activities to ensure that the activities in each results area are implemented in accordance with the project objectives;
- Leading the monitoring of project activities against the established indicators detailed in the project Logical Framework.
- Liaise with implementing partners to ensure the timely submission of project reports;
- Conduct field visits as required to verify project activities relative to stated targets;
- Facilitate troubleshooting options with the relevant agencies to remove any bottlenecks that might arise during project implementation;
- Manage the personnel of the PMU and its day-to-day activities, evaluate their annual performance and make recommendations about their contract renewal;
- Ensure that the work plane and budgets are in conformity with the project objectives;
- Oversee the outsourcing by competitive tender monitor the procurement of works, goods and service for the project and ensure execution according to the rules and guidelines in conformity with the project procurement procedures manual.
- Coordinate and manage all procurement requirements (contracts and consultancies in site project, including reviewing consultancy reports);
- Provide guidance to contractors and consultants engaged by the project;
- Plan and arrange PB meetings and serve as the Technical Secretary for the Board, prepare and circulate minutes of the meetings, and follow up on implementation of the PB decisions and action to agreed;
- Manage and monitor the project risks initially identified, submit new risks to the PB for consideration and decision on possible actions if required; update the status of these risk;
- Ensure that the financial management arrangements are in conformity with the UNDP regulations and that all payment vouchers and payment orders are correctly authorized thereby ensuring that all expenditures are justified, within budges frames, and in line with project objectives;
- Ensure that audits are organized on time and resulting recommendations are acted upon;
- Keep the National Focal Point (NFP) informed about key project implementation matters to facilitate the NFP’s work as liaison officer with the GEF sector Ministries, other stakeholder and UNDP;
- Ensure appropriate public relations, awareness creation and marketing of the project among stakeholder groups and the public at large;
- Prepare periodic monitoring reports (technical and financial) of the project for submission to different agencies that are involved in site project implementation;
- Organise and facilitate stakeholder consultations and project review meetings as required;
- Undertake closing out activities for the project which include final financial, procurement and technical reports, and the handing over of documents;
- Undertake any other activity that may be necessary for the effective management of the project.
Requirements, Experience and Skills
- Advanced University degree (at least M.Sc or equivalent) or Bachelor’s degree in Geography, Environmental Sciences/ Management, Environmental Economic or another field relevant to the project.
Experience and Skills:
- At least 7 years of experience in a similar or related position;
- Proven track record of technical and managerial experience in the implementation of large-scale, multi-stakeholder projects, including financial management and oversight of projects;
- Extensive experience with project management, especially with project financed by multilateral organizations;
- Strong interpersonal skills with ability to work under pressure and to establish and maintain effective work relationships with people of different national and cultural backgrounds;
- Excellent skills in project planning, implementation, and team building;
- Ability to take initiative and to work independently, as well as part of a team;
- Demonstrates openness to change and ability to manage complexities;
- Ability to lend effectively, and demonstrated excellent conflict resolution skills;
- Extensive knowledge and understanding of biodiversity and/or livelihood systems issues in Northern Nigeria, with a special focus on smallholder farming systems, values chains, markets;
- Experience with and understanding of Nigeria, including biodiversity protection issues and national policy environments will he an added advantage;
- Excellent working knowledge of English and track record in producing communications and reports in English:
- Experience in writing project success stories, lessons leaned and best practices.
- Knowledge of the GEF and UNDP funded projects and their technical and operational requirements.
- Proficiency in English and Local Languages.
- Ability to communicate effectively complex, technical information;
- Good management, coordination and organization skills to facilitate production of quality outputs in a timely manner;
- Ability to work both independently and collaboratively as a member of a team to produce quality outputs in a timely manner.
- Demonstrates integrity by modelling the UN’s values and ethical standards;
- Promotes the vision, mission, and strategic goals of UNDP;
- Displays cultural,gender, religion,race,nationality and age sensitivity and adaptability;
- Treats all people fairly without favoritism;
- Fulfills all obligations to gender sensitivity and zero tolerance for sexual harassment.
Application Closing Date
7th December, 2017.
Method of Application
Interested and qualified candidates should send their Applications and Cover Letters to: [email protected]