Job Vacancy at COOPI Cooperazione Internazionale – COOPI Cooperazione Internazionale, is a helpful, non-confession booth and autonomous association established in 1965 in Milan, Italy.
For over 50 years we have been devoted to breaking the cycle of destitution and to supporting populaces influenced by wars, financial emergencies or catastrophic events in their way to recuperation and maintainable advancement, by making utilization of the polished methodology of neighborhood and universal administrators, and through our associations with open and private bodies and common society associations.
We are enrolling to fill the accompanying positions beneath:
Title: Area Coordinator
Locations: (Potiskum, Damaturu) and Maiduguri, Borno.
Scope of the Vacancy
- We are looking for 3 Area Coordinators for the bases of Potiskum, Damaturu and Maiduguri.
- The Area Coordinator is responsible for the overall management, execution and reporting of the projects managed from his/her base.
- He/she is directly assigned to, and responsible of the supervision of all logistics, HR, financial and overall functioning aspects for the projects and of the base.
Main Duties / Responsibilities
Under the direct supervision of the Head of Mission and in link with the Coordination, he/she ensures COOPI intervention coordination in his/her area of intervention. He/She:
Coordinates the implementation of the country strategy in his/her area of intervention:
- Participate in the development and updating of the country strategy by providing information from the field
- Ensuring the implementation in the field of the part of the country strategy for which he/she is responsible in collaboration with the head of Mission, the Program Coordinator and the project Managers.
Coordinates the implementation of programs in the field:
- Coordinate and control the implementation of planned projects
- Coordinate in the field the development of new projects in collaboration with program coordinator and project managers.
- Supervise the support services activities at field level, in collaboration with the support department managers
- Guarantee synergy between technical and support teams at field level
- Ensure the implementation of recommendations from internal audits / departmental field visits / field assessments
Manages the team in his/her area of intervention:
- Supervise and manage the members of his/her team under his/her direct responsibility
- Participate in the recruitment of his/her direct team (for expatriate staff in his area of intervention at the request of the Head of Mission)
- Monitor the social climate in its area of intervention and alert the Head of Mission in case of difficulties or social demands
- Ensure the global management of training needs for his/her team
- Encourage compliance with the charter and the fight against fraud and abuse of power and alert the Head of Mission in case of fraud or abuse of power.
Facilitates good relationship with coordination team:
- Keep the coordination team informed about program delivery
- Proactively solicit coordination team for any question that could jeopardize programs, funding; or the safety of teams and equipments
- Ensure that field teams clearly articulate requests for support to the coordination team to maximize operational effectiveness and programs’ impact
- In general, play a facilitating role between the “field” and the “coordination”
- Manage the follow-up of recommendations from the technical and support departments
Represents COOPI and ensures relations with partners, authorities, UN agencies and NGOs in its area of intervention:
- Coordinate and supervise all partnerships
- Participate in humanitarian coordination activities
- If necessary, implement at the local level the strategy and advocacy activities defined by the mission
Ensures the reporting and the communication:
- Coordinate the reporting activities with the Program Managers in the field in accordance with donors and the HQ requirements (type and quality of information)
- Coordinate the establishment of a program capitalization system to provide evidence to carry out advocacy activities
- Implementation good communication practices
Manage the safety and security of his/her area of intervention:
- Follow the evolution of the security environment (networking, gathering and analysis of information …)
- Maintain an effective network with local stakeholders on issues of context and security, collect and analyze information to establish context analysis and risk analysis.
- Regularly Update the Local Security Plan with the support of the Logistics Manager and the security officer and send it to the Head of Mission
- Briefe teams on context and security
- Guarantee compliance with safety rules with the support of the Logistics Department
- Manage any security incidents and report to the Country Director
- Actively participate in audits and ensure implementation of recommendations
Profile of the Candidate (Education, Training, Competences, Skills)
- Master’s degree in Humanitarian field.
- At least 3 years of working experience in/with INGO on project management and with at least 1-year experience as Head of base
- Proven interest & commitment to humanitarian and development principles and a demonstrable understanding of conflict/post conflict development contexts
- Experience in proposal writing, analysis, and report writing
- Excellent in English (oral and written)
- Experience in security management
- Ability to plan, organize work, communicate and reports effectively (both in writing and verbally)
- Proven ability to prioritize tasks and meet deadlines
- Team player, effective communicator, successful negotiator, creative and analytical thinker, active learner, able to work in a multicultural environment
- Excellent communication skills, calm, with a good sense of humour
- Proven commitment to accountability practices
- Ability to function effectively under stressful conditions such as heavy workloads, and deadlines.
- Ability to leave in a restricted area with curfew.
- Excellent Microsoft Office applications skills (Excel, Word, Power point, Emails, Skype, Web researchers)
- Knowledge of and adherence to COOPI Code of Conduct, understands other international development guidelines.
Job Title: Head of Mission
Description of the Position
- The Head of Mission provides leadership and strategic direction of COOPI’s operations in Nigeria and is responsible for the implementation and development of the country programme in line with COOPI’s organisational and country strategy, policies and procedures.
- The HoM is also responsible for the management and capacity building of the staff, securing donor funding and to represent the organisation to the government, donors, and other appropriate bodies – including clusters, UN agencies and the media.
- The HoM reports directly to the Area Manager at the HQ. The position is based in Abuja.
- He/she manages relations with the main institutional donors and with potential ones.
- He/she represents COOPI in the country/area by engaging in relations with institutions, NGOs, local and international organizations and partners.
- He/she also is responsible of the organization’s reputation in the country.
Strategy and Planning:
- He/she verifies and proposes to the Area Manager the intervention priorities to consolidate the organization’s opportunity to be more involved in the country.
- He/she contributes to the definition of the Country Strategy and proposes the country planning (projects and coordination).
- He/she coordinates and directly monitors projects, guaranteeing the correct implementation in conformity with the contractual obligations and donors’ procedures, and in line with COOPI’s procedures and management standards.
- He/she coordinates the elaboration, writing and documents’ preparation for presenting new projects, referring to the Area Manager and the headquarters support offices.
- He/she is responsible for the preparation of projects reports and all the monitoring documents requested by the central headquarters.
- He/she ensures the transmission of all official and administrative project documents to the central headquarters.
Country Office Management:
- He/she is responsible for all different aspects related to the country office management: economic and financial situation, local regulations, office organization charts, logistics, local and expatriate personnel management, in conformity with the organization’s guidelines.
- He/she guarantees the respect of the country’s legislation and administrative regulation.
- He/she is responsible for the local staff management.
- He/she participates and supports the Area Manager and the Human Resources office in the selection of the expatriate staff.
- He/she coordinates and monitors the country’s expatriate staff management.
- He/she is responsible for the expatriate staff security, for the correct implementation and respect of the general security rules.
Economic and Financial Management:
- He/she is responsible for the country’s economic result.
- He/she supervises the financial management and ensures – through the administrative function – that all financial reporting deadlines and donor/COOPI’s procedures are respected. He/she participates to the projects/coordination budget preparation.
- He/she has the signature for all COOPI’s bank accounts in the country.
- He/she cooperates with the Communication and Fund-Raising office for all communication, awareness and fund raising activities implemented in and for the country.
Profile of the Candidate (Education, Training, Competences, Skills)
- Advanced degree in International Education, International Development, Health and Nutrition or a related field or equivalent work.
- Minimum 5 years experience in the humanitarian field and in a similar position, with a track record of success and results achieved;
- Previous experience with an international humanitarian NGO is an advantage;
- Desirable experience of working on EU/ECHO, USAid/OFDA and UN projects;
- Experience of working within an insecure environment with responsibility for security planning, monitoring and management.
- Strong analytical and practical problem-solving skills;
- Strong supervisory abilities, and demonstrated capacity of teamwork and of coordination with the relevant actors;
- Very good inter-personal and writing communication skills;
- Ability to organize work efficiently and deliver assignments in a timely manner often under time constraints;
- Proficiency in written and spoken English;
- Computer literacy, with high proficiency in the use of standard office software applications (e.g. Microsoft Word, Excel and PowerPoint);
- Valid driving license.
Title: Country Administrator
Location: Abuja (this is a non family duty station)
Start Date: 19th March, 2018.
- We are looking for a highly qualified Country Administrator with overall responsibility for supervision, management and quality implementation of all aspects of COOPI financial and administrative operations in Nigeria.
- The Country Administrator will be part of the senior management team and is expected to contribute to the future strategic development and professional dynamics of COOPI in Nigeria.
Safe and Bank account Management:
- He/she ensures the correct management of the safes and the project’s bank accounts, by directly managing or by regularly controlling the project accountant, if available.
- He/she ensures the correct project accountancy and all accountancy documents filing.
- He/she does this by monitoring the accountants or by directly performing the accountancy, in case there was no accountant.
- In collaboration with the project manager he/she verifies the correct administrative management of the projects (contracts, goods and services purchase, calls for tenders etc.) in compliance with COOPI and the donor’s procedures (ECHO, UNICEF, UN Agencies, AICS, USAid/OFDA, FFP).
- He/she ensures the correct filing of all project’s administrative documents.
Expenses Planning and Monitoring:
- In collaboration with the Project Manager (and the logistician if present) he/she makes the project’s financial planning.
- He/she monitors expenses, in accordance with the budget.
- He/she provides the accountancy data to the Project Manager so as to allow him to monitor and plan the expenditures and to request funds.
Contract Modifications and Administrative Documents:
- He/she collaborates with the Project Manager in the elaboration of contract modifications (including the budget), and in the preparation of all necessary projects documents.
- In coordination with the Head of Mission and with the Project Manager he/she prepares the intermediate and final financial reports for the projects under his/her responsibility.
- Support the Head of Mission and Project Managers in budget preparation as well as proposals development.
- He/she plans the work, supervises, and collaborate to train the staff of the project’s accounting-administrative area upon request by the Head of Mission.
- Upon request her/she collaborates to staff evaluation activities.
- She/he will be the focal point of the complaint mechanism and the code of conduct.
- He/she provide technical oversight to the procurement process and ensure proper supply chain management procedures are in place and that standard logistics and related administrative systems are established and implemented within COOPI country programme.
Profile of the Candidate (Education, Training, Competences, Skills)
To be successful in this role you must have:
- Minimum of 5 years’ relevant work experience in large organizations.
- At least 3 years’ work experience in a similar role within a international non-governmental organization (NGO), donor or multilateral agency.
- Substantial experience working with International NGO’s, UN agencies and networking and negotiating with authorities.
- Very strong financial analysis skills and an extensive practical experience working with financial tools, highly proficient with excel such as using pivot table, developing macros, etc.
- Ability to motivate and guide staff working in a complex conflict environment, preferably experience from an African context. Previous experience in Nigeria is an advantage.
- An excellent interpersonal skills (Good analytical, negotiation, advocacy and communication skills) and demonstrated ability to establish effective team and external relations
- Experience with capacity building of national staff.
- Ability to work under pressure in a rapidly changing and sometimes insecure environment
- Excellent English language skills both written and spoken are essential.
Interested candidates should:
Click here to apply
Deadline 12th March, 2018.