Breakthrough Generation Fellowship 2018 – Each mid year, Breakthrough looks for five to ten remarkable youthful investigators, authors, and thought pioneers for the Breakthrough Generation Fellowship. Colleagues will contribute composing and research to one our three principle issue territories at the Breakthrough Institute: Energy, Conservation, or Food and Farming. Partnerships are profoundly focused — just 5-10 percent of candidates are for the most part acknowledged — and include bleeding edge composing, research, and open approach examination. See underneath for more data on the most proficient method to apply.
Breakthrough forward Generation 2018 cooperations will happen mid-June to mid-August 2018. The initial two weeks will be committed to Breakthrough Bootcamp, a scholarly intensive lesson in Breakthrough’s history and research. In the event that you have a planning struggle with these dates, please email us at the earliest opportunity to examine.
- The fellowship runs for ten weeks between June and August and pays $600 per week.
- Fellows work 40 hours per week, and may be considered for full-time employment at the end of the fellowship. Breakthrough does not provide housing.
- Final-year undergraduates, college graduates, and postgraduates are eligible to apply for the fellowship.
- Fellowships are open to applicants from any country.
Please indicate at the top of your cover letter which of the three research areas you wish to be considered for: Energy, Conservation, or Food & Farming. An excellent cover letter will display a thorough understanding of Breakthrough’s work and ideas, and discuss at least one of our publications and/or An Ecomodernist Manifesto or Michael Shellenberger and Ted Nordhaus’s book Break Through. Please limit your cover letter to one page maximum.
Please limit your resume or CV to two pages maximum.
Three Writing Samples
1) A 500-1000 word argumentative essay or op-ed (does not have to be published) on a subject of your choice that demonstrates an ability to make a focused argument in a clear, convincing, and accessible way. This writing sample is evaluated for evidence of critical thinking and general writing skills. For examples of opinion pieces written by Breakthrough staff, see here, here, and here.
2) A research paper, preferably between 15-20 pages. This does not need to have been published, but should demonstrate an ability to research and analyze a subject in more depth. It is recommended, but not required, that the topic of the research paper be relevant to the program area you are applying to.
3) An additional writing sample of your choosing — this can be an opinion piece, a research paper, a policy memo, or any other piece of writing that complements the first two samples.
Please submit a minimum of three professional references with contact information.
Letters of Recommendation
Letters of recommendation are welcome but not required. Recommendations will only be accepted if the author of the letter, not the applicant, sends the letter directly to Breakthrough. Letters should be be attached to your application or sent separately to fellowships [at]thebreakthrough [dot]org with the subject “[Last Name] Generation Application References”
Any other questions or concerns?
Please email fellowships [at]thebreakthrough.org.
For More Information:
Visit the Official webpage of the Breakthrough Generation Fellowship 2018
Application Deadline: February 13, 2018 at 11:59 pm PST.