Management Sciences for Health (MSH), a global health nonprofit organization, uses proven approaches developed over 40 years to help leaders, health managers, and communities in developing nations build stronger health systems for greater health impact. We work to save lives by closing the gap between knowledge and action in public health. Since its founding in 1971, MSH has worked in over 150 countries with policy makers, health professionals, and health care consumers to improve the quality, availability and affordability of health services. Working with governments, donors, non governmental organizations, the private sector, and health agencies, MSH responds to priority health problems such as HIV & AIDS; tuberculosis; malaria; maternal, newborn and child health; family planning and reproductive health; and chronic non-communicable diseases such as cancer, diabetes, and lung and heart disease. Through strengthening capacity, investing in health systems innovation, building the evidence base, and advocating for sound public health policy, MSH is committed to making a lasting difference in global health.
The objective of the Laboratory Systems Specialist position is to provide technical leadership of the CaTSS laboratory program in the State in a manner that strengthens integrated delivery of comprehensive HIV/AIDS and TB services in partnership with the state government and other partners, and leads to sustainable health systems for services delivery using HIV/AIDS prevention and control efforts as an entry point.
- The laboratory Specialist will be required to take lead in the establishment of laboratory systems in supported States that support sustainable delivery of high quality comprehensive HIV/AIDS and TB prevention, care and treatment services. This will involve designing and implementing capacity building programs for State and Local government health workers, coaching/mentoring facility staff to become champions of good lab practice and coordinating resources. S(he) will supervise the Senior Laboratory Officer and be responsible for strengthening laboratory systems in line with MSH broader health systems focus.
- In liaison with the ADLSS and other Advisors, ensure all MSH-supported laboratories in the State provide quality Lab services (at least rapid HIV testing, haematology, chemistry and CD4) at all times throughout the year. This will entail making sure all lab equipment is serviced, repaired and fully functional at all time; maintaining zero-stock out time for all reagents and RTKs.
- Establish strong links/collaboration with the Laboratory Directorate in the SMOH and backstop processes that will lead to increased State Government ownership and funding of lab system improvements efforts leading to sustainability.
- Specifically support the SMOH, health facilities and partners to establish continuous quality improvement programs evidenced by proportion of State Labs that are registered by the MLSCN and prepared towards attaining national accreditation by the MLSCN.
- Provide capacity building on basic laboratory management, laboratory ethics and ongoing support to the laboratory staff on the use of respective testing and automations systems, basic maintenance of BD FACSCount machine, Clinical Chemistry and Hematology analyzers through the use of various tools with Quality control results on the relevant tests properly charted on L-J charts.
- He/She will contribute to the health facility upgrades plans in the area of laboratory upgrades including needs for equipment, water and drainage, safe disposal of sharps and contaminated wastes, and health facility laboratory staff in services training.
- As part of this role, the laboratory specialist will work closely with the ADLSS and other technical advisors to ensure health facility laboratories implement GoN-approved diagnostic protocols, quality control procedures, significant biosafety and biosecurity practices not limited to safe disposal of sharps and contaminated laboratory waste.
- To carry out quality control functions/ activities, in supported health facilities laboratories, including quality control inspections schedules and the collection of quality control records including but not limited to PT and other EQA samples, ensure the availability of quality records documents.
- Take programmatic responsibility for the functioning of the laboratory information system (LIS) whether paper or electronic at the state level as well as work closely with SLOs to ensure that EOM reports from HF reach the country office in a timely manner. They will also be responsible for collating EOM using standard templates.
- Ensure quality reporting as required by PEPFAR, MOH and MSH (monthly , quarterly, and as required)
- A Medical Laboratory Scientist must be registered with Medical Laboratory Science Council of Nigeria (MLSCN) and licensed to practice in Nigeria.
- Minimum of B.MLS/B.Sc Medical Laboratory Science with 4 to 5 years post license experience.
- Preferably with a Postgraduate degree in public health/health science.
- Significant experience in laboratory diagnosis of AIDS, tuberculosis and other opportunistic infections and laboratory monitoring of clinical status of people living with HIV essential.
- Significant expertise in laboratory Quality management Systems.
- Familiarity with local and WHO/AFRO Accreditation process is a plus.
- Familiarity with ministry of health national HTC guidelines and HIV/AIDS diagnostic algorithms is also essential.
CLICK HERE TO APPLY NOW